President: Elizabeth Cox
Treasurer: Erich Zellmer
Vice President of Recruitment and Programing: Jack Kilgore
Vice President of Community Service: Troy Hamner
Vice President of Public Relations: Shreya Chidarala
Delegate: James Cooper
ACMS Representative: Mallory LeBlanc
Welcome to the American Medical Association Medical Student Section!
The mission of UF’s chapter of the American Medical Association Medical Student Section is to educate medical students on national, state, and local issues affecting us as medical students and future physicians while providing opportunities for political and patient advocacy. At UF, students have the opportunity to be actively engaged in the Alachua County Medical Society, the Florida Medical Association, and the American Medical Association, beginning a relationship with these organizations that will last throughout their entire medical career. AMA-MSS strives to be the medical students’ leading voice for improving medical education, advancing health care and advocating for the future of medicine.
What is the American Medical Association Medical Student Section?
The Medical Student Section of the American Medical Association is dedicated to representing medical students, improving medical education, developing leaders, and promoting activism for the health of America. AMA-MSS is the largest and most influential organization of medical students in the country. Through involvement with this organization, students have the opportunity to learn about and advocate for medical student issues on a national level.
The core values of the AMA-MSS include:
- Advocacy: Caring advocates for our patients, our profession, and our medical student members.
- Leadership: Stewards of the future of medicine.
- Excellence: Commitment to provide the highest quality service, products, and information for our members.
- Integrity: Ethical behavior forms the basis for trust in all our relationships and actions.
What is the Florida Medical Association?
Medical students are important partners in helping the FMA make Florida a better place to practice medicine. MSS members participate in Annual Meetings, Board of Governors meetings, and FMA Councils and Committees. Benefits to students include scholarships and awards, leadership development, an annual research poster session, and opportunities to advocate for medical students and patients on a state level.
What is the Alachua County Medical Society?
The ACMS is the local affiliate of the FMA and AMA. This organization hosts monthly dinner meetings (free dinner!) in Gainesville with interesting and educational speakers and opportunities to network with physicians from throughout the area.
Internship & Fellowship Opportunities
The AMA offers internship and fellowship opportunities throughout your career as a medical student:
- AMA Government Relations Advocacy Fellowship (GRAF) – Experience the intersection of organized medicine and the federal government firsthand in Washington, D.C., as a full-time, paid member of the AMA’s federal action team for one year.
- AMA Government Relations Internship Program – Increase your involvement and education in national health policy and in the national legislative activities of organized medicine by completing a summer health policy internship in Washington D.C. supported by an AMA stipend.
- AMA/Discovery Channel Elective – Gain hands-on experience in the translation of rigorous scientific data into an entertaining and informational program through a four-week elective working with a resident/fellow to develop a medical education program that will air on the Discovery Channel.
- Plus many more opportunities!
- To be announced!