|Co-Presidents||Danielle Snyder & Xuban Palau Villareal|
|Faculty Advisor||Bradley Bruggeman, MD|
Welcome to the Obstetrics and Gynecology Interest Group!
The mission of the Obstetrics and Gynecology Interest Group (OBGYN-IG) is to educate medical students about the filed of obstetrics and gynecology, both the general practice of as well as the various sub-specialities. OBGYN-IG wishes to serve as a resource for medical students interested in the field. The group will provide various means for students to become more involved by hosting lunch meetings that address the fundamental question—“What is OBGYN really like?” At these various lunch meetings, we will invite faculty and residents to talk about their own particular experiences. There will also be various hands-on surgical technique training and other interactive opportunities to help further your understanding of the field. We will be sure to send you emails and make announcements on our page when these activities arise.
Residency & Fellowship
After completing medical school, individuals wishing to pursue a career in ObGyn must complete four years of residency training at an ACGME-accredited program. After completing a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology, one is eligible to pursue a fellowship in any of the following areas:
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine – An obstetrical subspecialty that focuses on the medical and surgical management of high-risk pregnancies and surgery on the fetus with the goal of reducing morbidity and mortality.
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility – A subspecialty that focuses on the biological causes and interventional treatment of infertility
- Gynecological Oncology – A gynecologic subspecialty focusing on the medical and surgical treatment of women with cancers of the reproductive organs
- Urogynecology and Pelvic Reconstructive Surgery – A gynecologic subspecialty focusing on the diagnosis and surgical treatment of women with urinary incontinence and prolapse of the pelvic organs.
The OBGYN-IG officers have put together a list of faculty who wish to participate in these shadowing opportunities. Please contact the following faculty for shadowing opportunities, or feel free to contact any of the officers and we will help coordinate these opportunities for you:
- Dr. Duff
- Dr. Madani
- Dr. Rhoton-Vlasak
- Dr. Roussos-Ross
All events will be announced via email and on Instagram (@uf_obgyn_ig).
- Residency Match Student Panel – Learn about the process of matching into OBGYN from a panel of recently matched 4th year medical students.
- Subspecialties in OBGYN – A discussion with our faculty advisor about the different OBGYN fellowships and subspecialties.
- Labor and Delivery Simulation – In collaboration with the UFCOM Center for Experiential Learning and Simulation, you will have the opportunity to learn how to manage a laboring patient.